Sriracha Soup!!

Yet again, cold weather has brought out the chef in me.  This is my new favorite soup - we ate it 4 days in a row last week!  (One batch makes about 8 servings!) If you like Indian, Mediterranean, or Middle Eastern flavors, and SPICINESS, then this is a soup for you! It filled up my kitchen with such wonderful smells, I could've stayed there all day!  I even looked forward to it when I was at work knowing I'd get to have such a tasty dinner AGAIN!! I didn't take many pictures throughout the process, but my goodness it is TAAAAAASTY and also really healthy!! (7 WW points!)

I got the recipe from this blog, The Hairpin, and changed up what I had to* (like ingredients I couldn't find!). 

Ingredients

3-4 tbsp olive oil* (honestly, I think you could use less olive oil - I used the full amount, but it'll lower your WW points if you use a little less!)
2 medium onions or one large onion, chopped
5-10 cloves of garlic (depending on your preference), minced
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp hot curry powder* (I used regular curry powder that you get in the spice aisle at the grocery store, I wouldn't necessarily call it "hot" - I know there are TONS of different types of curry out there, but the generic version works great!)
½ tsp sweet paprika* (same with this - I know there are a million types of paprika, but I just used what I had on hand, which happened to be some tasty Hungarian paprika from my mom! Thanks mom!)
½ tsp turmeric
Salt and pepper to taste (I used about 1 ½ tsp salt / ½ tsp pepper)
2 cups tomato sauce or diced tomatoes

Sriracha Sauce, for those of you who don't know what it looks like!

2 ¼ cups red lentils, sorted and thoroughly picked over, washed and rinsed* (I used green lentils because that's what I could find, and they were still excellent!!)

2 quarts water or vegetable stock* (I used one quart chicken stock and one quart vegetable stock for a little extra flavor!)
salt and pepper to taste
Sriracha hot sauce to swirl on top
Yogurt or chopped cilantro or parsley for garnish


How to:

1. Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes until browned.
2. Add garlic and the cumin, curry, paprika, and turmeric, and cook for one minute (be careful not to burn the spices). Add the tomato sauce, simmer 10 minutes.
3. While it simmers, sort the lentils, then add them, and then pour in the water or vegetable stock. Stir, turn up the heat, and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for one hour* (I simmered for only 30-40 minutes because it smelled TOO GOOD and I was HUNGRY!!) until the lentils are tender enough to smoosh on the back of your spoon. The soup should look thick and hearty, with a warm yellowy color.
5. If you have one, puree with an immersion blender; if not, it’s good as is, too — chunky, thick, and hearty. Stir it up, then ladle into bowls, swirl Sriracha on top to taste!


The original author suggests garnishing with a few dollops of yogurt and some chopped up cilantro or parsley, which to be honest, I forgot about... but I can see why that would be tasty! We served this with some warm pita bread because the more Sriracha you put on it, the spicier it gets, and you need something to soak up the spice!  IT'S SO GOOD!!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fancy New Dining Room!

Easy Custom Tufted Bed

Easter/Halloween Baby Announcement!