Breakfast Pastries

Today it is CRAZY rainy outside, we've had giant thunderstorms and flash flooding all night long, so what's a gal to do with a dark, cloudy, yet free Sunday morning? How about baking tasty snacks? :)

This recipe turned out to be pretty easy, and I bet it could be made using the little Pilsbury crescent roll dough, too, but I felt like making it from scratch because that's what I do! 

Ingredients

1 batch pie crust
1 egg, beaten
deli meat, chopped (I used honey ham!)
cheese either shredded or cut in strips (I used parmesan, but next time I'd like to try something with more oomph, like swiss or gruyere!)

I started by making my usual usual pie crust EXCEPT don't add the sugar!! These are savory pastries (if you choose to make them with sweet filling, by all means, add sugar! But with ham and cheese? Eew!) so instead of sugar, I added some pepper to give it a little kick. In the future I'd like to try adding spices like rosemary, but I just had to work with what I had on hand!

After making the crust, roll it out to about 1/8" thick, and use a knife to cut it into evenly sized squares. Preheat the oven to 350 so they'll be ready to go after assembling!
 Use a pastry brush (or if you don't have one, possibly a paper towel dipped in the mixture - sounds weird, but it works!) and brush the egg wash onto one half of the pastry squares. This will act as glue to keep the top attached to the bottom when it bakes! Layer the ham and cheese in the center of the bottom squares in a nice sized pile, but don't overfill them because the top won't stay on!
Put the top layer of pastry dough on the mixture and press down the sides. Use fork tines to make little indent marks all the way around - it also helps keep them closed! Brush the remaining egg wash on the top of the pastries and they'll be nice and shiny when they come out of the oven!

Put them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 30 minutes. They'll be fluffy and piping hot when you take them out, so serve immediately! Yum!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fancy New Dining Room!

Easy Custom Tufted Bed

Peach Upside Down Cornbread Cake