Bhindi Masala

Being a pregnant gal has definitely made me crave all sorts of Indian food! I'm not sure if it's the spiciness or the aromatic flavors, but it is delicious!! Ted and I took a trip to the spice shop this weekend to stock up on some of the more exotic spices that you can't find at the grocery store, so now I can make it any time I feel like!

I felt so proud making an exotic dish that actually worked, even though I didn't make up the recipe (or even alter it at all!). Another reason this recipe was something to be proud of is that my mom FORCED us to eat okra growing up - it was steamed, furry, and slimy and I hated it. I didn't even know I liked okra until I tried it fried! So I figured hey, this recipe is all about how okra is done wrong, let's try it out and see how it tastes when it's right! And it was AMAZING. 

Ingredients

1/2 cup grapeseed or canola oil (I used vegetable oil)
1 pound okra, trimmed and cut into ½-inch pieces
1 tablespoon chickpea flour (optional - we didn't use this)
Salt
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste (or 1 inch fresh ginger and 3 garlic cloves, minced)
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon amchoor (dried mango) powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
2 jalapeƱos, seeded and minced
1/4 teaspoon ground garam masala
Juice of 1/4 lemon
Cooked basmati rice for serving (optional)
Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)

Since I didn't edit the recipe at all, just click the link above for detailed instructions! My only "issue", if you can really call it that because it was SO good!!, is that the bulk of it seemed to be almost too dry. I thought it should be more of a "sauce" and instead was more paste-like. If I redid it, I'd either switch out tomato sauce for the diced tomatoes, or make a side-dish of sauce with something tomato-based. Other than that, it was wonderful and I will definitely be making it again, and eating the leftovers later!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fancy New Dining Room!

Easy Custom Tufted Bed

Peach Upside Down Cornbread Cake