Father's Day Candied Bacon Mancakes!!


For Father's Day this year, even though Ted's not quite a dad yet, I still wanted to do something special for him! With a little lady on the way, he's been very supportive and helpful and wonderful, as always, so he deserved an extra special breakfast in bed to say thanks!! He told me when he was little his dad would make pancakes with beer, so I figured I'd give it a shot!

I have to be honest, I totally stole the name of these pancakes from Betty Crocker. This recipe is how I got halfway there, but instead of using Bisquick, I used this recipe for beer pancakes. They turned out incredibly yummy!!

Ingredients

4 pieces of bacon (I used 6 and ended up just eating 2 on their own... I was helping clean up!)
brown sugar for sprinkling on both sides of the bacon
1 C all-purpose flour
1/4 C white sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1 C beer (any flavor! I used a wheat beer but might try a porter or stout next time, although I also read that root beer makes it extra tasty and sweet!)
2 Tbsp butter, melted
Syrup for serving

How To:

Heat oven to 350. Start by laying out the bacon on a cooking rack on top of a cookie sheet lined with foil. This will get messy! Bake it for 10 minutes, take out (carefully!) and sprinkle one side with brown sugar. Bake for another 10 minutes, remove, turn over the bacon (I used tongs) and sprinkle again with brown sugar. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and lay out to dry - warning: melted brown sugar makes the bacon stick to paper towels!! It's not THAT bad, but your fingers will get sticky when moving them around! Let it cool while cooking the pancakes.





In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together and add the melted butter, beer, and egg - stir or whisk it together until mixed well enough (a few lumps are ok!). Then tear up the candied bacon into bite-sized pieces and throw them into the batter!

Heat the skillet to medium heat and use cooking spray, oil, or butter to grease the pan a little. Scoop out batter in 1/3C increments - I could only cook 2 at a time. Once you see bubbles around the edges, flip the pancake until the other side is browned. This will make approximately 6 pancakes! Enjoy!
Happy Father's Day, Ted! I can't wait until next year when breakfast will be a bowl of cereal at 6am with our new little lady ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fancy New Dining Room!

Easy Custom Tufted Bed

Easter/Halloween Baby Announcement!