Mashed Poturnips!

I am back on a health-kick (NO FUN!) and decided to try a new veggie that I've avoided for years... the turnip. 

I absolutely love potatoes - as my mom said to me, you can take the potatoes away from the girl, but you can't take the girl away from the potatoes! AND IT'S SO TRUE!!! Alas, Weight Watchers says I shouldn't eat so many... so I decided to mix a turnip and a potato to make mashed poturnips! 

Ingredients


1 russet potato
1 turnip
Garlic
1/4 C low-fat milk, heated
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1/2 tsp sugar
Salt & pepper to taste

How To


It's easy, too! Just peel and chop the potato and turnip, and place them in boiling water with a few cloves of garlic. Boil for 20-30 minutes, until easily poked with a fork. Using your electric mixer, add the potato/turnip along with the heated milk and butter, and mix away! Add the 1/2 tsp sugar to reduce the bitter flavor, and then salt and pepper away. 


I would honestly redo the garlic part - I couldn't REALLY taste it, so if I were to make these again, I'd probably sautee minced garlic instead in some butter and then add that to the poturnips before mixing! It's still a smidge bitter, but it's kind of like mashed cauliflower - not EXACTLY the same as potatoes, but really pretty tasty!! We served this with some yummy roasted pork loin, and the best part is, these were just 3 SmartPoints! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fancy New Dining Room!

Easy Custom Tufted Bed

Easter/Halloween Baby Announcement!