Seafood & Sausage Paella

We are going to Seattle soon, and I thought I should practice making paella before going so I can make some there - SO MUCH FRESH SEAFOOD!!! So I looked up a bunch of different recipes, kind of mixed them all together, and voila - easy paella! It took me about 45 minutes, and now we seriously have food for DAYS!!

Ingredients


1-2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2-4 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
2 links Spanish chorizo (not the same as Mexican chorizo!) or andouille sausage cut in slices
Shrimp (I used probably 1-2 cups of frozen shrimp)
Mussels (I used a bag of frozen mussels and it turned out pretty great!)
Saffron threads (this was sold like a nudie magazine - inside a blank bottle, with the contents wrapped in black plastic! I can't tell you how many I used, but I just used "some" and hope it was the right amount!!)
1 Tbsp paprika
2 tsp oregano (or Italian seasoning, since that's all I have!)
Red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
1 15-oz can of crushed tomatoes
2 C long grain rice
4 C chicken stock
2 C dry white wine
Zest of 1 lemon
Salt & pepper to taste

Optional:


I put in some chopped okra and frozen peas - it adds color and some much needed veggies!

How To:


Heat a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Cook the sausage for a few minutes or until slightly browned on either side. Remove the sausage from the pan, and add the olive oil. Saute the onion until fairly translucent, and add the garlic. Stir fry the okra too, if you are adding those!



Stir in the tomatoes, saffron, paprika, oregano, and red pepper flakes and let heat up for a minute or two. Add the rice and stir, then add the chicken stock, wine, lemon zest, and bay leaf. Cook for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook your mussels to taste - I used water, more tomatoes, and saffron and it was just ok. In the future, I think I'll use more flavor like garlic, some butter, and chicken stock! When most of the liquid is soaked up by the rice, turn off the heat, add the cooked (but still cold) shrimp, mussels, and sausage to the pan, and put a lid on it. Let it sit for about 5 minutes.

Serve warm with some sliced lemon - enjoy!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fancy New Dining Room!

Easy Custom Tufted Bed

Easter/Halloween Baby Announcement!