Mini German Chocolate Cakes

My dad is turning a rather high-numbered birthday, and I knew we had to celebrate. He's the kind of guy who will say, "oh I don't like dessert," but if you order it, he'll help by saying, "hmm, looks like you need a bit of help finishing that, so I guess I can pitch in!"  In all of my years on earth, I've never seen him pass up free dessert!! But if I were to see him choose a dessert all on his own, it usually includes nuts! So I decided little individual cakes, SO HE COULDN'T HELP SOMEONE ELSE, would be a wonderful way to celebrate :)

I cheated a little and used a box for the cake, but it was STILL excellent!!

Ingredients

 

Cake:

Duncan Hines German Chocolate Cake box
3 eggs
1/3 C vegetable oil

 

Icing:

1/2 stick of butter
1/2 C powdered sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp whiskey

 

Toppings:

chopped pecans or walnuts
toasted coconut flakes
dark chocolate, melted

First, bake the little cakes in small glass containers. I happened to have some lying around, but I believe you can buy them at places like Michael's or other craft stores! My recipe made 15 individual cups, each cup holding between 1/4-1/3 C batter.

In the meantime, cream the butter and powdered sugar by beating them together - I first melted the butter for about 15-30 seconds, just enough to make it soft, not liquid. Then I put in the remaining ingredients and beat them together.

When the cakes are hot, remove them from the oven and spread about a teaspoon of frosting onto each cake (or until you run out!). Pour the melted chocolate in small streams across each jar, and finish by topping with nuts and coconut. Serve immediately or even the next day!

We ended up with a very happy birthday boy!! Everyone else was happy with the cakes too :)  I love you Daddy! Happy birthday!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fancy New Dining Room!

Easy Custom Tufted Bed

Peach Upside Down Cornbread Cake